Glenfiddich Visitor Centre
Glenfiddich had its origins in the autumn of 1886, when William Grant purchased land in the valley of the River Fiddich just north of Dufftown. On Christmas Day 1887 the first spirit was produced from the second-hand stills Grant had also purchased to get his distillery up and running.
The name Glenfiddich comes from the Gaelic valley of the deer and the first whisky produced was marketed, as it is today, under the brand of a stag's head.
The distillery is unusual in remaining in the hands of the same family throughout its life: it is still owned, together with neighbouring Balvenie Distillery, by the Grant family. The mid 1900s was a time of huge change in the distilling industry, with large number of distilleries coming under the ownership of just a few huge companies who controlled much of the market.